“What Does It Cost Me To Produce My Own Replacement Heifers”?
“Can I Increase My Revenues By Outsourcing My Heifer Program”
If I can keep more of my income producing cows on the ranch I would be able to create more revenue and help my bottom line.
- Now you can hire someone (Such As Heifer.PRO) or someone else to take over my Heifer operation.
- Or can still have partial control and do it yourself and not increase your workload or skill level.
Here are the Steps
- Find a great AI Technician in your area. Best way is to look up technicians through any one of a number of Semen Companies (Genex, ABS, Accelerated Genetics) or talk to your Bull Seed stock producer.
- Finding a great AI Tech is the most important Step. They will not only be able to breed your heifers but they will be able to put in touch with everything you will need to build a successful Heifer Program
- Find a Feedlot that will cater to HEIFER DEVELOPMENT. Most likely your AI Tech will be able to help you with that.
- Wean your heifers as you have always done.
- Background them on grass/hay for 45-60 days. This way they will know “How To Graze”.
- Place them in your feedlot. Plan with your AI Tech on a Breeding Schedule and cover bulls.
- From than on all the labor will be handled by the feedlot and your AI Tech.
- This will greatly reduce the amount of the most expensive part of Heifer Development. Winter FEED Costs.
- When your Heifers are ready to come home you can do One of 2 things.
- Make room on your place for your heifers for the summer which takes out income producing cows -or-
- Hire a professional to care and feed your Heifers through the summer.
- Summer feeding is simple where all they need is Grass and Water. There will very little Vet expense because for the most part if your feedlot did their job your Heifers should be in great condition. Cost $16-$20 per month for 5 months vs $25-$30 for pairs.
- At the end of the 5 months your Heifers are ready to come home.
- Sell your culls and any excess Bred & open heifers for extra income and to make room for your new Replacements.
Pencil it our. Here are some pricing guilds to help in your decision.
- Feedlot daily expense feeding a corn base ration $1.40-$1.50 per day
- Feedlot daily expense feeding a DDGs base ration $1.05-$1.15 per day.
- Corn = 1.5-1.7 lbs per day gain
- DDGs = 1.3-1.5 lbs per day gain
- AI Tech to breed each Heifers including cover bulls, semen, labor, $35-$40 per Heifer.
- Pasture – Yearling $16-$20 per month depending on area.
- Pasture -Cow/Calf pair $25-$35 per month depending on area.
- Trucking $7.00-$8.00 per Heifer
Any Questions Call Kit – 307.331.0357